Wednesday, October 7, 2009

32: Offering

Leviticus 1-4
This entire section is about the kind of offerings you should give God (usually in the form of helpless animals) for your sins.

For general offerings you are supposed to burn a male goat, sheep, or bull without defect. What exactly is God getting out of this (besides the "wonderful" aroma)? What does this animal's death have to do with your sin?

You can also offer grain. But nothing with yeast in it. I don't know what God's aversion is to yeast, but he apparently hates the stuff. Also, you must remember to add salt to your offerings. You wouldn't want to waste less than you have to.

The "lasting ordinance" at the end of Leviticus 3 is never eat anything with fat or blood. I'm fairly certain it's impossible to eat things completely devoid of fat.

I see absolutely no coherence of thought behind any of these commandments. It all seems extremely arbitrary and random. Burn your animals in this way but not that way. Eat these things but not those things. My question to all of this is why? Why does any of this make sense? Oh, I forgot, God works in mysterious ways, so I should just accept everything at face value.

Leviticus 4 is what you do for specific sins. The majority of this section is what you do for unintentional sin. And, of course, if you sin unintentionally you're still guilty (and generally deserve death).

I'd like to say more, but there's only so many different ways I can say that slaughtering random animals is stupid and pointless. Especially if you have no intention of eventually eating them. And that's essentially all this section is.

3 comments:

  1. I like what your doing, but you're in danger of becomeing less critical and more degrading. Try to write these without any mocking undertones- its the only way the religeos ppl who read this will get anything out of it- they tend to dismiss your thoughts if they sound cocky, arrogant or mocking. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to express over text how ridiculous I think some parts of the bible are without some level of mockery.

    Also, I'm not sure how many people actually want to read a dry statement of fact. If they simply wanted to know what was in the bible they could read it themselves. I assure you that these passages are mind numbingly boring without my comments.

    I would challenge you to find a critical review (of a movie or book) in which the reviewer didn't like what he/she was reviewing, and they didn't in any way mock what they were reviewing. I think that would make for a pretty boring review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meat wasn't all wasted. Read Leviticus carefully: Some of the meat goes to the priests.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me