Monday, December 14, 2009

100: Who killed Goliath?

2 Samuel 19-21
In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod. - 2 Samuel 21:19

[We've reached 100 days into the bible. I can honestly say that 100 days ago I had no idea what I was getting into. I've seen the heights of stupidity and the depth of boredom. To celebrate 100 days I'll do some shameless self promotion. If you know anyone that may be interested in my journey through the bible, let them know. The more readers/commenters the merrier. I've officially committed way too much time to this project to give up now, so expect to see new posts for at least the next 265 days.]

Joab tells David to stop crying over his son because it makes the soldiers that fought and died to kill him feel bad. David listens to Joab and stops mourning.

Joab meets with David's nephew (Joab's cousin) Amasa. Without provocation (as far as I can tell) Joab cuts open Amasa's belly, killing him. Joab hides the body and nobody seems to notice.

A man named Sheba rebels against David. David isn't going to allow a revolt to happen again and sends Joab to kill him. Sheba hides with his men in a fortified city. Joab follows Sheba to the fortified city and begins tearing down the walls. A woman comes out from the city and tells Joab he shouldn't kill innocent people. Joab tells her to throw him the head of Sheba and they will stop attacking the city. Sure enough, some time later Sheba's head comes flying over the walls. That was easy.

There is a famine in the land, this is attributed to Saul killing the Gibeonites. David summons the Gibeonites and asks them what he can do to repay them for their loss. The Gibeonites tell David to kill seven of Saul's descendants. David, of course, spares Jonathan's son, but rounds up seven other descendants of Saul and has them executed to appease the Gibeonites, and in turn God. So much for no human sacrifice.

David decides again that he needs to go fight the Philistines. You'd think they'd be exterminated by now. As I started reading this I thought it was going to be boring. The Israelites have defeated the Philistines at least five times now. That's until I saw this:
In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod.
What? Goliath is long dead. They carried his head around for the better part of a chapter. I Googled this to try to figure out what was going on here. And as usual when I try to search for these things I found at least 5 different opinions on the matter. The two main ones were David didn't actually kill Goliath, and this is a copyist error. Neither of these explanations bode well for the "inerrant word of God".

p.s. God is still missing.

*News*
A study found that children really love bible school, but they don't think their fellow students do.

The person who gave the study suspects that the students answered the survey as they thought they were expected to. However, when asked if the other students liked bible study, almost two thirds said that they didn't.

I see hope for the future.

(via Haaretz.com)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just found your blog through volerum blog. I'm imppressed with the massive undertaking you've taken on, very ambitious and courageous considering your geography. Keep up the study. I'm going to look through your archives and then try to catch back up with you.

    Once-Reluctant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been promoting you for a while now - Ever since I found this project, I've had a link to you at the top of my blog. I think this project is a great idea. It's even seeded some inspirational thoughts in me. After I finish my degree and have a bit of spare time, I was thinking of doing a psychoanalytic (I'm a literature/philosophy student) reading of the Koran. It would probably make a few people angry, but what's life without a little conlict?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to congratulate you for getting through 100 days. I would not be able to keep such a commitment for that long, no matter what I was doing. I cheat on my wife every 94 days, in fact...

    But I also wanted to tell you that something I read on this blog the other day completely elevated my mood and saved the day for me. So thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me