Wednesday, January 13, 2010

130: Biblical Division Fail & 1 Chronicles: In Review

1 Chronicles 28-29
"And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. - 1 Chronicles 28:9

I wasn't really sure how to do today's blog. The way E Word Today (the website I used to divide the bible into 365 sections) divided it up makes the section span over two books in one day. So I was either going to have to do the "In Review" out of order, or make this post seem like two short days in one blog. As you can see I've gone with the latter, as far as I can see (by skimming the rest of the schedule) this is the only place that the books are divided this way.

David plans for building the temple and gives all of his treasures to his son (Solomon) to build it. He tells Solomon to seek God and he will find him. If he forsakes God, however, he will reject Solomon forever. How is this God merciful? You can forsake him and you will never be forgiven, that's the opposite of mercy.

Solomon is acknowledged as king, and David dies.

1 Chronicles: In Review
Well, we're done with 1 and 2 Samuel. I mean, 1 Chronicles. Not only does nothing exciting happen in this book (i.e. listing names) the unexciting stories are things we've already heard about. Ok, I'm making it official, this was the most boring book in the bible. I certainly hope there will be no more contenders for the top-boredom spot.

2 Chronicles 1
Now, LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours? - 2 Chronicles 1:9-10

This is a really short section, I'm not sure why it wasn't just added on to the section before or after this. I would just make the change but that would only result in confusion/me forgetting sections.

Solomon asks for wisdom and knowledge (same thing?). God gives this to him and because he didn't ask for wealth, he gives him wealth. What if he didn't want wealth God? Again, I've talked about all of this already.

There's a mildly amusing economic blunder in the bible that I didn't notice before (maybe it wasn't in Kings). Here's the quote:
The king made silver and gold as common in Jerusalem as stones, and cedar as plentiful as sycamore-fig trees in the foothills. - 2 Chronicles 1:15
Wait a minute, if silver and gold are as common as stones then they aren't worth any more than stone. This also seems very much like hyperbole, which shouldn't exist if this is the 100% truthful word of God.

*News*
Holly McClellan doesn't like Christian stereotypes, but she won't go so far as to say they aren't true.

Here's what she has to say in Mercury News:
What first comes to mind when you think of Christians? They're basically good people, but maybe a little confused, right?

That's one of the kinder descriptions I've heard. The mental image is often unflattering, and public opinion rarely seems sympathetic. They're killjoys, zealots, narrow-minded bigots. Whether presented as laughable stock characters or intolerant "fundies," Christians today carry some unappealing stigmas.

But I am proud to say I am a Christian.
I don't know anyone that calls people fundies. Oh wait, never mind. She lists a bunch of bad things, and then says "But I am proud to say I am a Christian". How about "Those things aren't true, and I am proud to say I am a Christian"? Unless she's happy being labeled a killjoy, zealot, narrow-minded bigot.

Of course she goes on to say that she wasn't indoctrinated and she would have found Jesus whether her grandfather was a pastor or not (he is). She now goes to a Christian high school, which is also totally not indoctrinating her:
If Christian schools are, as some assume, designed to indoctrinate a generation of blind followers. I can attest that this couldn't be farther from the truth. I wrestle with issues that some think Christians would rather ignore... [but] Such investigation certainly does not negate the active role of faith.
Right, you're not being indoctrinated, but you still need faith to believe what these people are telling you about the world. Holly ends with a plea for us to remain open-minded:
I ask others to remain open-minded, to see my faith for what it is and not just the manner in which it is lived out by flawed people like myself. I'm certainly not the perfect witness for my faith, but that does not diminish my desire to share it with all who will listen.
How are we supposed to find out what Christianity is? The bible? The bible says to stone gay people. I actually feel that I need to do quite the opposite of what she just said. I will remain open-minded to how the "flawed people" live out their Christianity (I have seen Christians that are fully accepting and non-bigoted) and less open-minded to a never-changing book that says to kill people for petty crimes or no crimes at all.

(via Mercury News)

1 comment:

  1. "wisdom and knowledge (same thing?)"
    Not entirely no - one of my favourite quotes:

    Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting tomato in a fruit salad.

    Wisdom is knowing how to apply the knowledge you have.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me