Friday, January 15, 2010

132: Breaking News: Death in Movies, Not Real Death

2 Chronicles 6-8
I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there. - 2 Chronicles 7:16

We have yet another day of repeating stories that weren't particularly interesting in the first place. Is it time for Job yet?

I'm sure you want to hear what actually did happen in the bible today. Solomon dedicates the temple and builds a bunch of random buildings. Another example of how the bible talking about buildings is mind numbingly boring.

The only thing that's mildly interesting is the quote of the day. God promises that he's going to keep his eyes and heart in the temple forever. I wonder if God knew that the temple wasn't going to last forever. We can only assume that God's eyes and heart are somewhere in the ground in Israel.

My Bible on: Death
It's Friday! And I actually remembered that I'm doing this little segment every week now. If you don't know what I'm talking about click here and scroll down a bit.

Again, this is not for reading purposes, my camera phone is terrible.


[Anything in brackets is mine. Anything else is from my Bible.]

Death

You see death all the time. On TV, on a video, at the movies. But that's not real death [That's not real death?! Such revelation]. It's just "pretend" [But the blood looks so real]. Real death is far from "pretend." [My dog wasn't just pretending? Does that mean he's not at a nice farm up north?] Real death is painful and can be frightening. [Keep in mind, this is for teenagers. Could they be any more patronizing?]

Death (deth) n.
the act of dying; the termination of life; the state of being dead.

Alternate Definition
they're gone, and it seems like the end [if it looks like a duck...]

Death always brings sorrow. But a Christian's sorrow is eased by hope: "We do not want you to...grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him [fallen asleep in him?]." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 [Christians seem to grieve like everyone else.]

In this world nothing is certain but death... [and taxes! Way to change the meaning of that quote from satirical to depressing and morbid.] - Benjamin Franklin

Most teenagers first experience death when a grandparent dies. Some lose one or both parents. Others lose a close friend. The death of someone you love leaves and aching, empty hole in your life. [What's the bad news?]

If you're honest with yourself, would you be willing to admit that death frightens you? [not really] At least a little? [Maybe at the most basic instinct level of "oh shit I don't want to die". But not the actual being dead part.] Well, you're not alone. [Anticipated answer fail] Death, your own or that of someone you love [I'd say I'm more frightened at the death of others than my own death], gives everyone a shiver at one time or another.

Death is an enemy. But when Jesus returns, God has promised to "wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelations 21:4 [because death is the only cause of sadness.]

*News*
Well, it's Friday, and I didn't feel like spending hours sifting through news to find an interesting bible story. So I've decided to let Jon Stewart take over the news section today. He even uses the bible.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Haiti Earthquake Reactions
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

(via Comedy Central)

1 comment:

  1. Death is pretty friendly to evolution, or should I say evilution since God is so anti-death. Oh, wait...

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me