Saturday, February 27, 2010

175: I Hate You! No, Wait. I Love You! No, Wait...

Psalms 58-65
Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath. - Psalm 62:9

All the Psalms today are written by David.

Psalm 58: The rulers of the earth are bad. So David prays that God will break their teeth. He also prays that they will be like a stillborn child and they won't ever see the sun. What a nice guy David is.

Psalm 59: David again prays to God to deliver him from his enemies. Then he tells God how nasty they all are.

Psalm 60: David goes back to telling God not to forsake him any more. David is upset that God has "given [them] wine that makes [them] stagger". Uh, David, I think that's the point of wine. I still haven't found any rhyme or reason to David saying how wonderful God is, then saying how he wishes God wouldn't reject everyone so much.

Psalm 61: David lets God know that he prays to him all the time. Also, he can't wait to take refuge under God's wings. God has wings?!

Psalm 62: David calls God a rock again. God is back to being all loving, as opposed to rejecting people. In this Psalm we have one of the most confusing lines in the bible. It's today's quote but it bears repeating:
Lowborn men are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie;
if weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.
Is this a riddle? I think we've metaphored our metaphors.

Psalm 63: David's body longs for God. He doesn't love you like that David. David wants to glorify God with his lips. Whoa David. Sexual harassment? He doesn't forget to throw in a "please kill my enemies" before the Psalm ends.

Psalm 64: David wants God to kill his enemies. He suggests a few ways that God could go about doing this (shoot them with arrows, bring them to ruin, etc). I think these 150 Psalms could be condensed into about 3 Psalms (1. Please kill my enemies. 2. Stop rejecting me. 3. You're awesome.).

Psalm 65: God is great. He fills streams with waters. Everyone sings to him with joy. Except, of course, the people that David wants God to kill. He's not so great to them.

*News*
I've never actually watched the West Wing. But I was linked to a pretty awesome video from the series that I thought I'd share. Also, I ran out of time to look for news, so hopefully nothing terribly exciting happened in bible news today.

[I would suggest skipping the first 1:30 if you're looking for the bible related stuff]



Maybe I'll have to start watching the West Wing?

(thanks to Mike for the link)
blog comments powered by Disqus
 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me