Thursday, March 4, 2010

180: I'll Open my Mouth, You Fill it Up

Psalm 80-85
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. - Psalm 84:2

Psalm 80 (Asaph): Asaph complains that God still isn't helping him. He says that God makes the Israelites drink bowls of tears. Cruel and unusual punishment? For a God that answers prayers he sure takes his sweet time.

Psalm 81 (Asaph): Asaph tells us to praise God for the first half of the chapter. For the second half he quotes God. God tells Asaph all the wonderful things he's done for Israel. Of course, this makes it ok that he's not helping Israel now. Here's our strange quote for the day:
I am the LORD your God,
who brought you up out of Egypt.
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

"But my people would not listen to me;
Israel would not submit to me.
Is it just me or is "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it" thrown into the middle of that quote? Not only is it thrown in the middle, but it makes no sense. What is God filling our mouths with? For an all perfect book it's pretty ambiguous, and up for interpretation. For the sake of argument, I've decided to interpret this line in the dirtiest way possible (I'll let your imagination fill in the gaps). God obviously decided to add sexual innuendo to the bible just for my entertainment. God closes by saying that if only the Israelites would follow him, he would help them. Until then, screw 'em, I guess.

Psalm 82 (Asaph): I'm not sure if it's God or Asaph speaking in this chapter. Most of it is in quotes so I'll assume that's Asaph channeling God. The first sentence is interesting. It again implies that God is only one of many gods: "God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the 'gods' ". Asaph closes by telling God to judge the earth. Hasn't Asaph been praying for a cessation of God's judgment? I guess that only applies to Israel.

Psalm 83 (Asaph): Asaph prays to God to kill all of Israel's enemies. This is just like every other chapter where the speaker asks God to kill his enemies.

Psalm 84 (The Sons of Korah): The sons of Korah must be having a good day. They praise God and tell him how wonderful he is. They praise him for all the great things he does in the world. Are these the same people that plead to God to stop killing them?

Psalm 85 (The Sons of Korah): The sons of Korah decided to combine concepts in this chapter. They tell God to stop killing them/letting them be killed, AND say how wonderful he is. That makes perfect sense, "I know you're letting people kill me, but you're still awesome!"

*News*
There's a new bible out, and it's just for black people.

Here's how the article starts:
African-American children and teens yearning for a full text bible designed specifically for them to understand and celebrate their rich heritage, as well as identify and interact with Scripture now have six inspiring choices available through Zondervan.
Now, I'm not black, but this seems more than a little ridiculous. I would have Al Sharpton knocking on my door in 24 hours if I released a "white bible" (for white folk to celebrate their rich heritage). I was promised that having a black president would nullify all of our races. The Daily Show lied to me!

As I side note, the whole bible being pro-slavery thing seems like it would be particularly hard to come to terms with for an "African-American bible". Maybe they just cut those parts out (as opposed to just pretending they don't exist in the white bible).

(via The Urban Network)

2 comments:

  1. “Open your mouth wide and I will fill it”

    This is highly metaphoric language in regard to “feasting” on suffering. Notice in Psalm 80:5 the Psalmist laments that God has fed His people with ”tears.” Psalm 81 is juxtaposed to Psalm 81 obviously, and God says in paraphrase, “Hear me…if you obey the first commanded taught to you through the Exodus…I will fill your mouth” –not with suffering but blessing (vv. 81.8-10). Notice that this interpretation is confirmed in verse 81.16 in regard to the blessing of abundance, “But I would feed you with the finest of the wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.” Taste and see that God is good. (“God tastes like chicken” is a title of one of your previous posts).

    So a couple of principles…Psalm 81 can be interpreted within itself by comparison of v. 10 and v. 16 (i.e. it is cohesive). But the Psalms are also intertextually connected. Read closely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typo...... should read "Psalm 80 is juxtaposed to Psalm 81"

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me