Friday, March 5, 2010

181: Cookie Monsters (Catholics)

Psalm 86-89
From my youth I have been afflicted and close to death; I have suffered your terrors and am in despair. Your wrath has swept over me; your terrors have destroyed me. All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me. You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend. - Psalm 88:15-18

Psalm 86 (David): What? I thought we were done with David. By bible lied to me. Unless, of course, there's some other David that I was never told about. This really sounds like the David we've come to know and love (read: find annoying). God is wonderful, kill my enemies, don't kill me for equal crimes. Yup, that's our David. Also, we again get a hint that this God is not the only god that the Israelites know about. "Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord" - David Psalm 86:8.

Psalm 87 (The Sons of Korah): God loves Israel. The end (it was a really short psalm).

Psalm 88 (The Sons of Korah): The sons of Korah are back to their crying to God (as opposed to calling him wonderful). They say that God's wrath is heavy on them, and it is as if they are dead. They go on and on about how God's wrath has been on them since the day they were born. So much for those happy sons of Korah from yesterday. They're back to their constant mourning over God's wrath.

Psalm 89 (Ethan): We have a new Psalm writer. He decides to go on for about a page and a half about how wonderful God is. I thought he was just going to say God is wonderful, but like all the others there's an "oh by the way" section. He too asks if God will hide himself forever, and continue to allow David to be destroyed. Wait a minute, this sounds suspiciously like David. Why do I think that David told Ethan to write this, just in case God didn't get it when David prayed 8372 times?

*News*
We all know everybody loves Chick tracts (the website says so, so it must be true), but what happens when chick tracts piss off Catholics?


Click the image for the full tract or click the link below.

*Superhero music* Fox News! To the rescue! They wrote a very unflattering story about the Chick tracts, calling them "inflammatory leaflets". The favorite part for me was hearing what the Catholic Priest had to say about the Chick tracts (keeping in mind that he would probably be for a lot of what they usually say):
'It’s a very dangerous world we live in,' the priest said. 'But you can’t argue with ignorance, it’s not worth it.'

'I don’t understand the [pamphlet’s] reasoning — it has nothing to do with scripture. It’s anti-Catholic; it’s just hate material. It has nothing to do with theological discussion. 'You better get out and get saved' is basically what it says.'
Now replace anti-Catholic with anything else the Chick tracts talk about. Maybe Chick tracts are a good thing, they bring together atheists and Catholics (and everyone else) to hate them. I personally find Chick tracts very entertaining if you treat them like actual comic strips (not to be taken seriously).

For the full Chick tract, "The Death Cookie" go here.

(via Fox News)

1 comment:

  1. Actually, the priest probably wouldn't agree with Chick tracts most of the time. Most Chick tracts have a level of Protestant fundamentalist theology behind them that conflicts with Catholic teaching at many levels. Even some of his basic "don't do X or you'll go to Hell" often have some twist of dogma about Hell or atonement that would conflict with Catholic ideas.

    And Chick has done anti-Catholic tracts in the past, so I'm not sure why this one is news. Did he pay Fox for some exposure or something?

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me