Saturday, March 27, 2010

203: Imagine no Religion

Proverbs 27-29
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

"A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day; restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand." Solomon really won't shut up about this. He must have some nasty wives.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I thought two men rubbing together was a bad thing.

"Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand it fully." Except Catholic Priests.

"If anyone turns a deaf ear to the law, even his prayers are detestable." God's law? Or the law of the land? If it's the law of the land then there are a lot of Christians with detestable prayers.

"He whose walk is blameless is kept safe, but he whose ways are perverse will suddenly fall." Unless God makes a bet with Satan. Yes, I'm talking about Job again.

"A man who remains stiff-necked after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed-without remedy" Stick and stones may break your bones, but words will suddenly destroy you, without remedy. That's how that goes right?

*News*

Brenda Norris has imagined a world with no religion, and she's freaking out.



She uses John Lennon's "Imagine" and the atheist bus campaign as her basis for freaking out.

She says that "Imagine" only offers emptiness, rather than hope and faith. Well, I agree it doesn't offer faith (unless you would call that faith in humanity). But it certainly offers hope:
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
Yeah, how much more hopeless can you get?

The particular bus campaign she targets is the one that reads "There’s probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
The wording intrigues me, though: There’s probably no God. Hmmm. For a group that denies the existence of God, why the wishy-washy “probably?”
...
Atheist writer Richard Dawkins says that uttering, “There is no God” is taking a faith position, and atheists don’t have faith.” But to say atheists don’t have faith is like saying there are no absolutes. Everyone has faith of some kind, whether it’s faith that the air we breathe won’t kill us, or that gravity will continue to keep us from spinning off into space.
I am comfortable with "There is probably no God" just as I am comfortable when I say "There is probably no Santa". You can't prove a negative. For example, I can't say there are no magic pink unicorns in the universe, because I have not explored the entire universe. Am I still confident there are no magic pink unicorns? Of course.

As for her two examples of my "faith". I have no faith that the air I breathe won't kill me. I am confident, based on the evidence that air has not killed me in the past, that it won't kill me in the future. I'd use the same line of reasoning on the second argument. Gravity hasn't, in recorded history, suddenly stopped. Based on that evidence I can conclude that it probably won't happen in the future. However, there is a disclaimer. I am not claiming that it will never happen. I'm just saying that it probably won't happen. "Probably" is not just a random word choice.
Stop worrying and enjoy your life. If one doesn’t believe in God, one should have no worries concerning one’s life, right? Being accountable to no one but yourself, you already should be enjoying your life on your own terms.
The signs aren't addressing atheists. The signs are talking to religious people who are worried about silly things (not eating pork, not turning lights on during the sabbath, etc.). That being said, of course non-religious people have worries in their life. And of course non-religious people are accountable to people other than themselves (law enforcement, their bosses, their parents, etc). Non-religious people are just like you, they just don't believe in God.

(via Bangor Daily News)

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love Imagine and your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me