Friday, April 30, 2010

237: 2 Girls 1 Cup and God

Jeremiah 46-48
"Make her drunk, for she has defied the LORD. Let Moab wallow in her vomit; let her be an object of ridicule." - Jeremiah 48:26

In chapter 46 God tells Jeremiah how he's going to destroy Egypt. Keep in mind that God would not be destroying Egypt had the Israelites not fled there. So much for an all just God. I've heard the argument from several people that God can kill anyone he wants and be morally "good" because of original sin. I don't agree with this argument, but lets just roll with that for a moment.

Let's just pretend that God is morally just in destroying Egypt. Shouldn't he destroy Egypt even if the Israelites weren't there? If they're such bad people, they should be wiped off the planet regardless of whether God's chosen people happen to be residing there. This doesn't seem like pure Godly justice. As if that wasn't bad enough, he's not going to kill the Israelites (who seem to be the ones responsible for all this death):
"Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,
for I am with you," declares the LORD.
"Though I completely destroy all the nations
among which I scatter you,
I will not completely destroy you.
I will discipline you but only with justice;
I will not let you go entirely unpunished."
These Israelites essentially have the power to destroy whatever people they want destroyed by going and living with them. How is this justice?

The next chapter is just God telling the Philistines they're going to be killed. He says that enemy chariots will ride into the city and kill everyone. Men will not even stop to help their sons. But they can rest assured that they are being killed by God's love. I bet that will make them feel better.

The last chapter for today is just describing how Moab should be destroyed. However, God gets a little graphic in his descriptions. God tells the city of Moab to wallow in their vomit because they defiled God. I'm sure someone is going to argue that this is metaphorical vomit, but you can never really be sure. Even if it is a metaphor, it's too late for me to get the image of hoards of people puking everywhere and wallowing in it out of my head. Those people must have done some nasty defiling to God.

*News*
Oh how I love fundie letters to the editor, this is a good one.

Brian Dine is apparently responding to someone who's said that evolution is a "fact" not a "theory". Of course, theory actually means a set of well developed facts, but I'm sure that's what he was trying to say. Anyway, Brian has a very intellectual rebuttal:
Regarding Joe Bauer's April 24 letter, "Evolution is no theory, it's fact," I have this to say: Christ lived, died on a cross, then rose from the dead - that's a fact, not a theory.

Anyone can claim something is a fact, not a theory. Joe asserts that the Bible is an inaccurate source of scientific facts and that "Evolution is not in God's plan. Because there is no God's plan,"
Let me sum this up for you in laymen's terms, "Nuh uh!" He then goes on to the classic "well, atheists have faith too!" argument. It's interesting how faith is a good thing till someone else has it (not that I'm agreeing that atheists have faith):
Asserting that God has no plan is an improvable statement of faith. Joe, at least you have faith; that's an important fact. Which is more likely accurate, "The universe and all therein came from nothing," or, "It all came from something? Nothing still comes from nothing, last I checked.

Science deals only with Big Bang forward, as that's when the laws that science attempts to discover began to form. No matter what you believe about pre-Big Bang requires faith.
Which is why I believe nothing about before the big bang! If someone asks me what I think was going on before the big bang I confidently reply "I don't know". Saying you don't know is infinitely better than claiming you do know based on nothing but faith. As for the first paragraph, this argument can be summed up with "Everything came from God, but something can't come from nothing. Except God, he can totally come from nothing." It doesn't get any more logical than that.

3 comments:

  1. You had me scared that was somewhere in the exponent! D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice - 2 Girls one Cup. lmao Also little known information in the States is ... God is made up. Which is why he doesn't strike all of us down. He is not waiting for any right moment. He is make believe. Nice post.

    As an atheist. I have no faith. Faith arguments always go you have faith someone loves you. Blah. Not the same. Trust maybe, not faith. I do not believe in any known religions deities. I find it very unlikely that any being exists that would have even some of their deity like qualities. There is no faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE BOOBQUAKE - 911!

    hey, atheists don't even BELIEVE IN BOOBIES!!!

    they thought BOOBIES had no effect... WRONG!


    see, I just want to make it clear to the rest of you:


    jen is unable to see that there is a CONFLICT BETWEEN EROS & SCIENCE....

    ________________

    http://www.blaghag.com/2010/04/in-name-of-science-i-offer-my-boobs.html

    ETA: follow-up

    http://www.blaghag.com/2010/04/quick-clarification-about-boobquake.html

    see how we take a term and convert it into its AUTHENTIC POLITICAL DIMENSION - THAT OF LIBERATION - not just merely harmless expression...

    they thought BOOBIES had no effect... WRONG!
    ____________

    Visit for the BOOBQUAKE:


    http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussion.net/philosophy-f1/the-boobquake-911-t1310.htm

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2009, Page Info, Contact Me